Justice For The Tragedy Of Birth Injuries
It’s always heartbreaking when a baby is born with disabilities. It’s even more tragic when those birth injuries could and should have been prevented by the medical professionals.
I have helped other parents pursue medical malpractice lawsuits for birth injuries. You’re angry and hurting. I know it’s difficult to talk about. But it is important to take action as soon as you suspect your baby was harmed by medical negligence. Call the Law Offices of Peter G. Aziz & Associates LLC today to learn how I can help.
Was Your Baby Injured By Medical Malpractice?
Not every birth injury or stillbirth is malpractice. But if you believe that the OB-GYN (obstetrician-gynecologist) or other medical staff made mistakes, your instincts may be right.
- Cerebral palsy: This is a form of brain damage caused by lack of oxygen, as when the baby gets stuck during birth. It often results from improper delivery technique, failure to anticipate a difficult birth, failure to notice fetal distress or failure to perform a cesarean section (C-section) in time. Cerebral palsy (CP) can affect the child’s motor skills, speech and cognitive development. Many kids with CP need round-the-clock care and supervision.
- Erb’s palsy or Klumpke’s palsy: If the baby’s shoulders become wedged in the birth canal (shoulder dystocia) and the OB-GYN uses improper technique – such as excessive force with suction or forceps – to free the baby, the brachial nerves can be damaged. The child may have weakness in, limited use of or total paralysis in the hand or arm. Some infants regain full or partial use of the limb through surgery or physical therapy, but sometimes the nerve damage is permanent.
- Neonatal injuries: Some injuries occur after labor and delivery, such as complications from negligent neonatal treatment of chronic lung disease or jaundice.
- Injuries to the mother: Pregnancy and childbirth can endanger the health of the mother and/or her baby. Failure to diagnose and treat gestational diabetes, preeclampsia (high blood pressure) or postpartum hemorrhage (internal bleeding) may constitute malpractice.
Suing For Birth Injury
One purpose of a birth injury lawsuit is to hold medical professionals accountable and hopefully spare other families from a similar tragedy. The primary purpose is to compensate the victim and family for their personal hardships and the financial impact of the following:
- A lifelong disability
- Surgery or physical rehab
- Medical equipment and modified vehicles
- Specialized nursing care, child care or educational services
- Career sacrifices to care for your child
Strong And Compassionate Advocacy
You are not just a case number. I understand that this is your child and that you are grieving. I care about your baby’s future and quality of life. If we determine that you have grounds for a malpractice case, you can trust that I will be thorough and aggressive in pursuing full monetary damages.
I am Peter Aziz, a proven trial lawyer who is not afraid to take on doctors, hospitals and insurance companies. With offices in Clifton and Hackensack, I handle birth injury lawsuits throughout New Jersey. Call me for a free consultation at 973-928-0577 or contact me online.